Progressive web apps (PWA) provide an installable, native app-like experience that works on any device and enhance progressively, taking advantage of mobile features available on the user’s device with new and improved features and APIs. Historically, native apps provide a much richer experience than the mobile web, creating high engagement with the end-user. With […]
Progressive web apps (PWA) provide an installable, native app-like experience that works on any device and enhance progressively, taking advantage of mobile features available on the user’s device with new and improved features and APIs.
Historically, native apps provide a much richer experience than the mobile web, creating high engagement with the end-user. With the app revolution, more and more traffic is being pushed to mobile, and native app consumes so much data. Most users thereby lose interest in downloading such apps. Building brand new apps for Android, iOS and the web are expensive and time-consuming. These factors have given rise to a game-changer in mobile innovation, Progressive Web App, invented about 2 years ago. Progressive web apps are the next great trend that will be essential for 2020.
Benefits of Progressive Web Apps
- Responsive – PWA works on any device and any browser. A progressive web app improves user retention and performance in maintaining a mobile application without any complications. PWA is designed to offer a perfect user experience; they are as reliable as a website (no apps crashing here) app-like user interface. It allows users to add a website to their mobile home screen for quick and easy access.
- Connectivity independent and Up to Date– PWAs are independent of network availability as they run as a background process. The PWA is always up-to-date, no updates are required. It includes URL caching capabilities and due to caching, It feels like an app to the user, with native app-style interactions, speed, and navigations.
- Safe to Use - Progressive Web Apps are always served with HTTPS to provide SEO advantages, brand trust, and protection from security breaches. The app is hosted over HTTPS to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks because It has more intimate user experience and all network requests can be intercepted through service workers.
- Re-engaging– PWA gives marketers the possibility to easily re-engage with visitors through features such as push notifications which increases re-engagement fourfold. It helps to alert readers of breaking news or trending stories and increases engagement with swiping and image galleries.
- Reduced development costs and faster delivery– Mobile App development can be expensive as it depends upon how large and complex your application requirements are. While most native apps are expensive to develop, a PWA can cost half or less than the corresponding native option. PWA provides instantaneous page load speeds, loads as quickly as a downloaded offline app (since downloaded content is cached locally). PWAs consume less data, are lightweight and therefore effortless to access and use.
- PWAs improves your SEO– Superfast loading times, reduced bounce rates, minimum data usage, and highly engaging experiences are by default boosters for SEO rankings. With PWA offering advantages like this out-of-the-box, it’s logical to reason that using a PWA will automatically result in higher SEO rankings.
- Increased Conversion Rates– An app loses 20% of its users for every step between the user’s first contact with the app and the user starting to use the app. A user first finds the app in an app store, download it, install it and then, finally, open it. This makes a rigorous process and that’s why PWA can be immediately used, eliminating the unnecessary downloading and installation stages. They will be prompted to install the app to upgrade to a full-screen experience and access to other features. Browsing with PWA is seamless and this causes a huge increase in conversion rates. Some PWA apps implementation has even resulted in a 2.8x increase in conversion and a 2.8x increase in time spent on site.
Progressive web apps can be called a new generation of web applications that provide amazing user experience and offers functionality like working offline, speed and other features that are mostly associated with native applications. Thus, PWAs are a potentially game-changing solution for both developers and users and present the best of both the mobile web and native apps.
Dec 26th, 2019