Apple has announced the release of its iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay (a mobile payment platform), SMS Relay and Camera Roll. The release includes new features, improvements and bug fixes including Apple pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, access to iCloud photo library beta and support for SMS messaging on iPad and Mac.
iOS 8.1 is available for download in the Software Update section on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. The latest version of iOS includes the public beta of iCloud Photo Library, which enable users to store photos from across devices in their iCloud account.
The Apple Pay addition in iOS 8.1 will allow iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 3 users to pay within compatible apps at by simply swiping a finger with Touch ID. The update also includes the instant Hotspot when paired with a Mac or iPad.
SMS Relay feature will allow users to view the test messages which are sent on their iPhone on iPad and Mac and the user will also be able to send a reply to messages using those devices by selecting it in the list of available Wi-Fi networks.
Major features, fixes, improvement and changes in iOS 8.1 include:
1. Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
2. Provides alert when running low on space before capturing time lapse videos
3. Adds iCloud photo library as a beta service
4. Adds camera roll album in photos app and My Photo stream album when iCloud Photo Library is not enabled
5. Fixes issues with group messaging
6. Adds the ability for iPhone users to send SMS and MMS text messages from their iPad and Mac
7. Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations
8. Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices
9. Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working
10. Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data
11. Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play
12. Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes
13. Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri
14. Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background
15. Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates
16. Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly
17. Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with third-party keyboards
18. Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
19. Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number
20. Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver
Apple iOS 8.1 is available on iPhone 4s and higher, iPad 2 and higher, iPad mini and higher, and iPod touch 5th generation.